Wednesday 16 February 2011

The Book as Art: Reading the Sculpture

A fleeting Blog post: I just thought I'd share with you the book-art objects of Isaac Salazar.


Salazar transforms books into these beautiful sculptural forms. These works are less about the experience of reading books, but about books as a material form in themselves. Salazar's work shows us that the book, or the pages of books at least, are much more malleable than we might think. In other words, these sculptural forms make us see the book in a new light: Not as a work of literature, but an exciting art object in itself.

See more of Isaac Salazer's Books of Art collection here.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Reminded me of a song:

I'm not as sad as Doestoevsky,
I'm not as clever as Mark Twain,
I'll only buy a book for the way it looks,
And then I stick it on the shelf again.

http://bit.ly/g9JylI

Unknown said...

Oooh. More DC stuff. He made wasps nest sculptures out of his books:

http://coupland.blogs.nytimes.com/

Alison Gibbons said...

Love the lyrics, Jonny! I'd like to think I'm interested in substance too, but I do get very excited about the look of books.

Thanks for the link to Coupland's nests: It is interesting that he made these out of his own works. The article was also food for thought. I think he's right in commenting on the way in which paying attention to the materiality of books seems "corny". I've come across lots of criticism of multimodal literature where their mutlimodality is criticised as gimmickry.

BUT, I think and hope this opinion is changing, both in criticism and in art and literary practice. To use Coupland's words from the essay, "Books are not under siege, but they are evolving and mutating."